Business Development Manager/Director
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for an experienced Business Development Manager / Director to join our team. This is a dynamic opportunity in an early stage startup with growth and learning opportunities. You will report to the Chief Commercial Officer, and collaborate closely with international teammates from Singapore, China and Brazil.
We tolerate no divas. You must be a team player. As part of a technology startup, you are expected to be strategic, yet hands-on. You should have an interest in technology and are comfortable with the uncertainty that comes with novel technology innovation. You can expect to be fully engaged, but will be given clear priorities so that you are focusing on only one task at a time. This approach applies to all members of the team, including the leaders.
We value skills and know-how over qualifications. We are looking for strength in the of the following areas:
- Know-how and network in food ingredient industries (required)
- Relation and rapport building skills with people of all cultures and backgrounds (required)
- Team player with the ability to work in a high-speed technology company, with multi-disciplinary teammates from all backgrounds and specialisations (required)
- Ability to travel frequently to meet prospects and clients (required)
- Empathetic listening and questioning skills to understand client true pain points and requirements (advantage)
- Resourcefulness to seek information that reside beneath the surface and navigate the B2B landscape (advantage)
- Communication and public speaking skills in both formal and ah hoc situations (advantage)
- English-Mandarin bilingual proficiency (advantage)
We also value relevant experience. We consider the following experiences to be relevant:
- Sales track record of B2B deal closure and client account progression
- Senior stakeholder management
- Sales leadership of a small team (<10 pax)
This is an in-person role based in Singapore, but expect to travel frequently. We practice a hybrid working style, with a mix of in-person and off-site work. There is no minimum number of in-person days per week. Each person and team decides their own schedule. Every member will assessed by the impact that she/he ships, not by the time spent on work. The only guiding principle for being present is that as humans, authentic in-person interaction is necessary to create the culture of trust that we deem as foundational, so we require all team mates to invest in this.
Our team culture is centred on trust. The key pillars of that are active communication, ownership, responsibility, and mutual support. We value attitude over experience. To be considered a good fit, be prepared for a fast-paced startup environment. This means a focus on innovative problem solving, a growth mindset and a bias for taking action. The emphasis is on prioritising high impact actions, which requires clarity, focus and discipline. Clear prioritisation allows us to work hard, and play harder. We embrace being humans, not machines, hence the journey is as much of the prize as the destination. Having fun along the way is obligatory.